|The old tank muffler|
|Old exhaust seen in back ground|
|The new exhaust attached to the engine.|
I had been uneasy about the exhaust since we bought the boat but never looked too deep into it, scared of what I might find. With my suspicion all was not well I took the precaution to protect the engine; leaving the exhaust drain open to drain condensation before it could enter the engine. When I rebuilt the head I noticed a couple cylinders had evidence of water intrusion but hoped by taking the said precaution I could protect the engine and postpone the inevitable.
|The new flex joint installed.|
|The Vernatone muffler installed.|
With all the work done it was time to fire up the engine and see what happened. As the engine came to life I could not believe the difference; it sounded like a new engine. The noise level in the pilot house was reduced by 25% and the exhaust note was so quiet you could not tell we were running a Detroit, and that is saying a lot!
For those interested in more details please keep reading,
|The new exhaust as seen under the pilot house bench.|
|The capped end on the tee.|
One more small victory!
Following are some pictures of the fabrication process:
|Hole plasma cut in tube for tee.|
|Test fitting parts prior to welding.|
|Grinding a bevel on pipe.|
|Grinding the TIG torch tungsten.|
|Tungsten ready for welding.|
|Installing the tungsten in the torch.|
|Cap ready to be welded.|
|Tack welding the cap in place before welding.|
|Welding on the cap.|
|Cap weld completed.|
|Welding on one of the elbows.|
|Some of the miscellaneous pieces.|